6.20.2011

I'm Home!

From an amazing, mind blowing, wonderful trip to Uganda. I am still very much processing the trip, gathering photos and reviewing my journal, so I will update in detail soon.

For now, I thought I'd take advantage of this jet-lagged morning to give a shorter update.

It was great.

It was what I imagined it would be and it was much more than I could have ever imagined.

I had some insecurities going into this trip that the Lord helped me sort through and overcome. He is so good and so faithful. He made this dream of mine, being in Africa snuggling and connecting with orphans, come true. I am so thankful.



I made some great, new friends. Some Ugandan, some American. We cried together and laughed (and laughed!) together. These are forever-memories.



I didn't really suffer from culture shock, but more heartbreak for some of the conditions I witnessed. I found myself frustrated to tears on more than one occasion.

The trip was life changing in that it was a fulfillment of dreams and hopes I've had for years. I was already in love with these people...and I hadn't even met them yet! I think it's similar to pregnancy...when I was pregnant with my children, I already loved them. When they were born, it was confirmation of that love. Love coming to fruition. This trip was a birthing of the love that I already had in my heart.



I just have to take a moment and brag on my husband. Words can't even describe the admiration and gratitude I have for him. He always is a super dad, but especially these last couple of weeks! He created some memories that our children will remember for many years...sleepovers, movies, Chuck E Cheese, playgrounds, water balloon fights, horseback riding, walks, french toast, dollar store runs...knowing that they were having so much fun here made it easier for me to fully engage over there. AND I came home to a clean house! He rocks!

I will share more in the next week or so. Two weeks of emotions and experiences is a lot to sort through! The jet lag is a bit challenging too...in some ways I don't feel like I'm back yet! I'm awake for several hours in the early morning, by myself, while my precious family sleeps. Then, from about early afternoon through bedtime I'm tiiired and not worth much to them. Can't wait til that's over!


4 comments:

  1. Danielle McIntireMon Jun 20, 09:56:00 AM

    Wow, this makes me cry wonderful tears. God is so good and im so happy everything went smooth. Cant wait to hear more. Glad you are home safe a sound. Thanks for sharing your pics, I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are home, safe and sound. So glad God met you in Uganda, in so many ways, met you spiritually, met your expectations, met you physically. Can't wait to hear, your pictures and little videos are amazing. Love you sister, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home! I've prayed for you & for your trip… its something I'd really love to do one day. Can't wait to hear all that you have to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! So happy for you that you got to experience this wonderful gift that the Lord was holding in your heart all of these years! Can't wait to hear more! Love and miss you
    Steff

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think!